When the body is alkaline, it is capable of eliminating toxins and your cells can absorb all the nutrients that you intake through a healthy diet. On the contrary, when the body is acidic, it becomes inflamed and your cells become malnourished. Here are some tools to create a more alkaline environment in your body so that you can detox effectively.
1. Water with lemon juice– first thing in the morning, squeeze the juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon into 6 oz of filtered water.
2. Incorporate leafy greens into at least 2 meals each day.
3. Deep breathing– Stress is acidic and causes inflammation in the body. Whether you are at your desk or in your car, there is always time to take some deep breaths. Set an alarm to remind you to take 5 deep-belly breaths at least twice per day.
4. Moderate exercise- Sweating is essential for detox. However, if you are feeling run down and tired, high intensity workouts can be stressful on the body. Choose exercise that is appropriate for your energy levels. A 30- minute walk may be better than a 30 minute run if your body is already run down.
5. Positive Self-Talk- thoughts can be toxic or they can be healing. Imagine how you feel when you are really angry and what that does to the body. Now imagine what happens when you are feeling loved and cared for. Negative self-talk is counter-productive when it comes to alkalinizing and detoxing the body. Become aware of your self talk. Find a way to turn the negative into positive.
6. Chew your food! If our food is not digested properly, acid waste particles enter the blood stream. The body perceives these acid waste particles as invaders and starts to attack. Our body starts to produce more cortisol, cholesterol and thyroid hormones to get rid of the “invader.” Chew at least 10 times per bite (the ideal is 30 but that is a little unrealistic).
Your ideal alkaline-acid balance is 75% alkaline and 25% acidic. We want to be consuming more alkaline food than acidic foods. Remember that nutrition is only one portion of health. Our minds are just as powerful as the food that we put into our body. Focusing on food and exercise are only 2 pieces of the puzzle.
If you live in San Diego and would like to find out more about how to alkalinize/ detoxify your body. Please contact me for a nutrition consultation.