You are most likely familiar with the classic pesto made with basil and pine nuts. Today, we are about to take pesto to a whole new level. In 10 minutes, you will have a delicious alternative pesto that will add a flavor kick to many of your favorite foods.
Some suggested uses for pesto include:
- Spread on a wrap or sandwich
- As a pasta sauce
- Combined with your favorite whole grain salad
- As a dip for veggie sticks/ whole grain crackers
- With your eggs or tofu in the morning
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 small bunch of kale (dinosaur or curly kale), de-stemmed
- 3 basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or more for creamier consistency)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread almonds out evenly. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until toasted. (Be sure not to burn.)
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp sea salt over kale in a bowl and massage for 3 minutes (or until wilted).
- Blend all ingredients into food processor until well combined. For creamier pesto, add more olive oil.
Nutrition fact: Consider this pesto as a healthy fat addition to your snacks and meals. The almonds and olive oil will keep you feeling full for longer when combined with a carbohydrate and/or a protein. Plus this pesto gives you a great excuse to sneak more leafy greens and herbs into your diet.